CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Mawwiage (to be said like the guy from 'Princess Bride')


We're back from Edmonton. The wedding was great and we're so excited for Gary and Allie. We had a busy weekend with family on both sides, and we're glad we were able to go up for all the activities going on. We went through the temple with Allie, attended my Mom's "Showbiz Kids" performance, attended Gary and Allie's wedding and reception, stopped by my friend Jeanne's baby shower, and visited with relatives that we haven't seen in awhile. Like cousins. Lots of 'em.

We took a different route on the way back. Probably not the smartest idea, as you'll soon find out. But, we are so sick of traveling the Okotoks-Crownest Pass stretch (highway 22) these days, that we decided to travel over to Kananaskis and then south. The views through that area are amazing, and we got out to take a few pictures at this lookout that was so high up. I later realized that my camera wasn't saving any of the last 10 or so pictures I took, so I don't have any of Kananaskis OR the family activities in Edmonton. That was disappointing.
Here's where it gets interesting. About and hour and a half into this new route we hit some pretty bad roads. This road is usually closed in the winter and we had to stop at some really deep, snow covering the road. Jared got out to walk up and see how long it lasted and came back looking dejected. He figured our poor little Civic probably wouldn't make it through this deep snow and we'd have to turn around and drive all the way back, making our trip about 3 hours longer than it's supposed to be. We decided just to build up some speed, drive through the snow, and pray we'd make it to the other side without getting stuck. Off we go, building up speed and hitting the snow. Our little car was swerving everywhere, falling in grooves, almost getting stuck, tires spinning, etc on this crazy deep snow. Jared and I are just white-knuckled and tense in the front seat, hoping we'll make it through. Carter and Hayley are in the backseat, thinking this is the funnest thing we've ever done. They're laughing and squealing in delight - "Woo-hoo!" - as our car is fishtailing everywhere. We surprisingly made it through, and immediately started laughing at Carter and Hayley, and how hilarious they thought it was. Here we are, stressing out about the gravity of what we may be getting ourselves into, and they are having a blast. Oh, to be a kid again - not a care in the world.
We made it home okay, and I need a good week to recover from all our trips this past while. Did I mention that I am sick of traveling?
I just wanted to write a funny little thing that Carter said while we were in Edmonton. He was sitting in the kitchen, helping my Mom and Grandma Swanee make dessert. Swanee said to him, "Here Carter, just grab that... ya know, that thing over there... and spread the icing with it..." (she couldn't seem to find the word she was looking for). Carter, exasperated, says, "'C'mon, Grandma, just say 'knife'. You know it's a knife, just say it!"

5 comments:

ec said...

okay. did you say jeanne? like the jeanne. like OUR jeanne?

let me know...

oh, and gary's wife is adorable.

JWalburger said...

That rocks! I agree, to be kids again. I know what you mean about travelling. I am so tired of spending time in a car. Too bad it isn't over yet. Oh well. So how come you took the car? I thought you bought a new vehicle.

Kirsti said...

You guys are halarious - always finding new ways to get places. To be honest I am not surprised that you decided to try and drive through the snow. I would have thought something was wrong if you hadn't :)

The Whiddens said...

Erin - Yes, THE Jeanne. She's having a boy in about 5 weeks. So exciting!

Crystal - We took the car cuz it is way easier on gas. The new vehicle is more just for hauling our quads (when they come!) and driving in the bush. Although that road definitely counts as "bush". We just weren't planning on that.

Kirsti - You know us so well.

Tim and Ashlee said...

I feel for ya...so much travelling. Yikes! Looks like you guys have been having a great time though.

Hey we're going camping/quading (well Tim's quading) this weekend out near Jaffray. I think on Saturday while the guys quad us girls and kids are going to Fort Steele or the Fish Hatchery. You're invited to the camping, quading, Fort Steele, & Fish Hatchery! Let me know.