Last week, a note came home with all the elementary school kids asking parents to make sure our kids are "Stranger Aware". So I decided I needed to have "the talk" with my kids about strangers and how we practice safety with people we don't know. It went something like this:
Me: "So you guys know what to do when a stranger approaches, right?"
The Boy: "What's a stranger?"
Me: "A stranger is someone we don't know. Lots of times we see strangers at the store and if they ask us 'How are you', we can say 'fine', etc. But if a stranger ever asks you to come with them, what do you think we should say to them?"
The Girl: "Please and Thank you?"
Me: "Well actually we should say, 'No, I don't talk to strangers" and then walk away or find Mommy or Daddy.
The Boy: "But we aren't allowed to be away from you, so why can't you just tell the stranger that yourself?"
Me: "When you're older there might be times when you are allowed to walk home from school by yourself, or play outside alone... ANYWAYS, never go anywhere with a stranger, okay?
The Boy and The Girl: .... mumbling in agreement...
Me: So what would you say if a stranger offered you some candy?
The Boy: "I would say 'No!... but what kind of candy?'..."
At this rate, they won't be allowed to walk home alone until they're in college.
If a stranger offers you candy, make sure it's Reeses Pieces
Posted by The Whiddens at Wednesday, November 04, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
LOL! FUnny story.
that's hilarious! I love your stories!
Hilarious!!!!
oh my gosh I almost had a wee accident reading this. I can't wait till you get to have more "profound" talks with them.
Kids are so funny! I love hearing what yours come up with.
LOL that is to funny but scary all in one.
so funny.
we had this lesson in fhe when i was little and my mom asked what we should do if someone we didn't know tried to take us somewhere. i answered, "say, please put me down."
i was appalled that the real answer was to kick and scream.
kids rule.
Oh man Gary and I laughed so hard after reading this! I love when you put up conversations with your kids! They are my favourite!
Post a Comment