CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Blast from the Past

Back in the late 80's/early 90's, my mom taught my sister and I how to make the coolest jewelry. It was all the rage. It came in plastic sheets, you cut it into funky shapes, then baked it all together in the oven to make earrings or a brooch. And yes, this was actually what grown women wore, and not just a craft for kids. Does anyone else remember this? And what it was called??

Last week all the females met in Lethbridge for lunch and some shopping. My mom, sister and grandma had just come from a second hand store where they found NONE OTHER than those glorious little globs of plastic.



I think I've said it before.... the 80's are back baby!

11 comments:

Jenine said...

I totally remember making that jewelry and thinking it was very cool. Nice flashback!

shauna said...

Weren't they called Shrinky Dinks? And can you even say that without giggling??? :)

Kim said...

I remember those things! Definitely not shrinky dinks (who came up with that name anyways??? you can still buy 'em on-line--what fun!). I'm thinking that crazy stuff started with an "f" sort of a sound didn't it?

Dixie said...

I think the material was called "friendly plastic", but I'm not sure what the name was for the finished product. That's funny - friendly - I'm not sure how environmentally "friendly" it is, unable to decompose in landfills across North America

Hope you're still wearing it!

The Lawlor's said...

Oh yes, I remember that.

What ugly things I made that my mom lovingly wore. Poor woman.

Kim said...

I remember those...we loved them too!! haha!!

Lisa C said...

I proudly attached mine to my purse - love it.

Megbt said...

WOW! I loved making that stuff with my mom. Your post makes me want to go out and get my hands on that stuff and be amazing with it!

Tim and Ashlee said...

Yep! I soooo remember making beautiful jewelry with globs of plastic. Loved it!

Sarah B said...

Metallic, or neon was all the rage!! Totally remember that!

Liesel said...

totally stumbled across your blog, not sure if you remember me, but I'm from SP too.
Fimo (I think you pronounce it fee-mo)