CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Happy New Year!

2009 - wow. How did that happen? This past year has been a great one for our family. Recent events had reminded me to be thankful for what I have.

This past little while has been a sad time for our valley. Before Christmas, there were some lay-offs at the mines. Of course we empathize with the people who have been laid off - young families who just moved here to work in the mines and now have to leave town because there is no other jobs/industry here. The economy is not doing well everywhere and I think everyone worries about their own situations during these times.

I'm sure most of you have heard about the 11 men from here who were caught in a series of avalanches while snowmobiling. 8 of them passed away. Most of them were young men who grew up here, worked in the mines, and had wives and small children. We didn't know any of them personally, but in such a small community it's impossible to not know of them. My heart just goes out to their friends and family. I cannot even imagine what they are going through. It's amazing at times like this how everyone pulls together to help out - 5 of the funerals are being held at our church building and volunteers from every denomination are pouring in. Like I said before, I am reminded how precious life is and about the important things that really matter. It's one of those times that I don't have the right words to express what I feel, so I'll leave that to someone who is more eloquent than me.

On a happier note, here are some of our random happenings:

For New Years Eve, we went to some friends house for a little party. We spent the evening testing out Nadine's new camera, and playing Wii Fit while wearing massive granny panties (gag gift) over our clothes. As a result, we all have some very unfortunate pictures of ourselves that I'm hoping won't be posted on Facebook.

We went to Kalispell earlier this week; stayed in a hotel, did some shopping, and went to some movies. We took the kids to see Tale of Desperaux at the theatre. Normally, I would say it was "such a cute movie!" but I don't like to lie. On the other hand, we stayed in a decent hotel for $35 a night and I got so many sweet deals (such as some skis, bindings, and boots for $19). God bless America.
*My patriotic husband may likely kill me for writing that last line :) *

Tomorrow, a few gals and I are headed to Calgary to go shopping, and leaving the hubbies and kids behind. I am really looking forward to it and I'm hoping the snow conditions don't hold us back.

Hope you all have a great 2009!

7 comments:

Nadine said...

I uploaded those pictures too my computer today...and sat here giggling to myself! I am going to email you some of the pictures, but I have to warn you that some of them will be posted on my blog (not facebook).

shauna said...

Isn't it great how people pull together in the hard times. That is what amazes me. This community is banding together to hold everyone together. You expressed your thoughts pretty eloquently in my opinion!

Glad you guys had fun last night. I look forward to seeing those pictures!! Teehee...

Krystal Simpson said...

if i remember correctly this was not the first time you wore granny panties over your clothes :)

Also, do you know the names of any of those guys who died? where any of them members?

JWalburger said...

Looks like you have a great holiday! Glad to hear that despite the hard times in your area, everyone is pulling together.

Andrea Whidden said...

I couldn't believe the news about the avalanche either, it was on the news here, how sad...we really didn't love the Tale of Desperaux either, but we did LOVE Bolt.. and YES GOD BLESS AMERICA (and the Bahamas:)

Leah Silver said...

Sad time for your area. Loved all your pics from Christmas. Missed you guys up in the north. Great idea with the trunk--you'll have to connect with the other Whidden's. You would have all the costumes available.

Kirsti said...

Oh come on I want to see the underwear pictures :)