CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

'Tis the (Flu) Season

*Disclaimer - this post is not for the weak of stomach*

So yesterday morning I got my wisdom teeth taken out. I went to the drug store right after to get my oh-so-essential Tylenols 3's. My mouth was still frozen and swollen and I couldn't even talk. My tongue and bottom lip felt like they weighed 10 pounds each, so you can imagine how ridiculous I sounded. I was hoping I could quickly go in, get the prescription filled, and head home without anyone noticing my temporary speech impediment. In the parking lot, a lady stopped me to ask for directions, the pharmacist needed my address and personal information, and the wait was so long that it was necessary for me to ask someone where the washrooms were. So much for that.

I was feeling better by the afternoon, and I offered to watch these three boys for our friends, Stan and Karma Black. They are from Lethbridge, but are staying up here in Edmonton while their brand new baby has heart surgery. They wanted to be with him when he got out of surgery, as well as go out to dinner for their 10th wedding anniversary. Their boys were great and we had fun playing hockey and play station with them.

Here's where it starts to get interesting. The next sequence of events will take longer to explain than the amount of time it actually took for them to happen.

At about 7:50 pm, Hayley woke up screaming. I went up to check on her and found she had thrown up everywhere. We got her out, cleaned up, changed her bedding, and brought her downstairs to sit with us in the living room.

About 2 minutes later, Carter came upstairs and told us he was feeling sick all of a sudden.

Great.

Just then, Karma and Stan came to pick up their kids. I took them downstairs to get their kids and I all of a sudden started feeling quite sick myself. I had to interrupt our conversation, run upstairs and barely made it in time to throw up in the toilet.

Then, I heard Jared calling for me. I came out of the bathroom to see Carter running down the hall towards me, throwing up as he ran. It got everywhere: the carpet, the linoleum, the walls. He started to puke again and I picked him up and ran him into the bathroom, so of course he threw up all over me and the floor. I was stepping in it and slipping, etc. It was so gross.

At this point, Jared couldn't even help because Hayley was ALSO simultaneously throwing up while sitting on his lap.

The Blacks came up the stairs and had to walk around the piles of puke and quickly left as we were all pretty much covered in puke.

Carter, Hayley and I took kept throwing up (violently) every 10 minutes or so for about 2 1/2 more hours. Poor Jared was running around holding puke buckets for us, changing clothes, doing loads of laundry, etc while we all lay in agony on the living room floor.

The three of us eventually all fell asleep on the floor (with buckets beside). Carter and I both woke up at 11:30, simultaneously puked and then fell back asleep.

The whole time this was happening, Jared and I couldn't get over how suddenly this all came on. Carter, Hayley and I all within MINUTES of each other when we had previously been feeling fine. It came on SO FAST, was SO VIOLENT, and not to mention was completely debilitating.

It was such a gong show. Jared said it was like a sketch from Saturday Night Live, except not as funny when you're living it. I reminded me of an episode of Family Guy where they drank Ipecac. So gross. You can watch it here.

The worst part about this whole fiasco is that I just got my wisdom teeth taken out, remember? If you think throwing up sucks normally, try throwing up when you've just had oral surgery. It was so painful. I think I popped a few (if not all) of my stitches whilst puking. After awhile only blood was coming out.

It was still just as brutal during the night, but we are feeling a bit better today. Still not the greatest, though. It was seriously so ridiculous, we just had to laugh.

All I can say is, thank goodness for Jared and his Flu shot.

3 comments:

ec said...

julie.

sick.

i hope that never happens to you again.

or to me. ever.

i'm impressed that you're laughing about it already.

sarah said...

Oh, Julie.
I am glad you are feeling better. That reminds of me when I was pregnant with Adam, seven months. And I got sick, and Mackenzie got sick. I don't think it was anything related to my pregnancy because we were so sick, we were just crawling around the house. We had to get Mackenzie's parents to come and get Cameron because we couldn't take care of him.
It sucks to be sick.

Skye said...

There is NOTHING worse than throwing up! Nothing. I'm sorry you had to do it so many times. That's just nasty. I hope you're all feeling better today and that it passes just as quicky as it came on!