I can guarantee that the first words out of Jared's mouth when he gets home from work will be "Rough day?".
The house is a mess, there's a pile of dishes soaking in the (now-cold) sink full of water, there's NO food in the cupboards, and I am still in my pajamas...unshowered.
The day began early - 5:14 am to be exact. I woke up with a start to Donatello, inches from my face, telling me he had to go to the bathroom. Don't get me wrong, I'm so thankful that he got up instead of me having to change wet sheets a few hours later, BUT I knew it would be hard convincing him it wasn't morning time yet. He wanted to "watch Ninja Turtles and have Life cereal" (and who wouldn't?) but I wasn't ready for that. He asked to sleep in our bed with us and I knew that would be easier than trying to get him to go back to sleep, without him crying and waking up Hayley in the next room. Big mistake.
Trying to fall back asleep with a three year in your bed is hard (thank goodness we opted for the queen), especially when he starts to occupy himself by playing with your eyelashes, scratching your back, playing footsies, etc. None of us got too much sleep from that point on.
At about 10:00 am, I notice the water has been turned off. Some construction has been taking place outside our house. Darn. Can't shower for a bit. No biggie, I'll just shower later.
The construction woke Hayley up early from her morning nap. She was ready to go down a bit earlier for her second nap, until I realized that the water was still shut off. No water to make her a bottle before her nap. So, I fed her some baby food, hoping I could hold her off from napping until the water came back on.
She was doing fine, sitting on the floor, playing with some toys. She was actually pretty excited, and when she gets excited, she does this thing which I can only describe as "the Crazy Baby". She flails all her limbs, rolls her head (and eyes) around while laughing. It's hilarious. Anyways, in the midst of all the excitement, she hit herself in the face 2 or 3 times with the toy she was holding. Must've thrown off her rhythm, because then she fell backwards and hit her head on the ground. Tears ensue.
The events that follow are a little foggy, but I'll try to recap. As I'm comforting Hayley, Donatello opens a cupboard beside me in the kitchen, finds his Dora place mat, which he has been looking for everywhere, gets excited, turns around to run and tell me, bumps into my leg, ricochets off my leg and bumps his head on the CORNER of the cupboard door (if you've ever had kids, you know they occasionally have these boneheaded moments).
As I'm trying to comfort BOTH kids by holding them on my lap, Hayley reaches over, grabs Donny's ear, and digs her fingernails into it. Thanks sweetie. That helps. More tears ensue.
Hayley is finally down for a nap (with a bottle, thanks to that ONE sample can of "ready to go" formula...Thanks Enfamil!) and Donatello is about to drift off while watching "Ice Age". He hasn't napped since Christmas, so...fingers crossed.
It is now 2:45pm and I feel like I've had the longest day of my life. Days like this make me wonder what I've gotten myself into.
And the water STILL hasn't been turned back on.
I just looked over and Donny is asleep. Hallelujah! This day could get better...
Is it that obvious?
Posted by The Whiddens at Thursday, May 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
i'm glad i'm not the only one.
Yeah, May 24th will forever go down in history as "The Day that Kicked my Butt!"
Post a Comment